Freshers’ run continues

SWANSEA University Freshers extended their unbeaten record with a fully-deserved 19-10 win over Cardiff Freshers.



Swansea Freshers had the superior history in the fixture, and the side were confident going into the game.

And coach Oliver Tarbard was pleased with how his side lived up to their expectations of the game.

“I was confident beforehand because the freshers have never lost a varsity match,” he said.

“However, we knew that there was a lot of pressure on the boys. But they took this in their stride and lived up to expectations taking all the chances
they were given.”

The first half opened tentatively, with no clear cut opportunities and lots of penalties being conceded by both sides in the middle of the pitch, and it was penalties that would dictate the first half.

First, after nine minutes, Swansea were awarded a penalty in a close, central position, and Liam Crandon put Swansea 3-0 ahead.

This lead lasted only three minutes, however, as a Cardiff penalty levelled the score.

But Swansea retook the lead through a fine effort from distance from Crandon, and went into half time 6-3 ahead.

Just two minutes into the second half, a magnificent counter-attack down the left gave Swansea men to spare and David Young went over for the first try of the game.

And seven minutes later, after great pressure in Cardiff territory, Swansea scored again when Oliver Young was able to find a gap in the defence to
extend Swansea’s lead to 16-3.

With a little over 20 minutes to go Cardiff found themselves with men over to score a try of their own, which they converted to bring themselves
back into the game at 16-10.

But the difference in class between the teams was evident, and the only further addition to the scoreline was through Crandon, who had missed both conversions but was successful with another penalty.

Tarbard was delighted with the quality of his side’s performance.

“The score was close at half-time but I said in the team talk to keep the pressure up and the aggression high.

“I knew we needed to keep our discipline as Cardiff were only entering our half when we conceded penalties. I was confident that we would run riot in the second half.

“The boys did the university’s rugby club proud and I think it took a few hours until the boys finally realised what they had achieved.”


Comment Below (Moderated)