Herring’s penalty save gives Team Sloth victory in intramural shield

IN this year’s Intramural Shield, last season’s cup winners Team Sloth came out on top in a dramatic penalty shoot-out against league title holders the Uni 7ths side following an even game which finished 2-2.
Both sides felt they could have won the game prior to the penalty shoot-out.

“It was a horrible way to lose the game as we had chances to win the game in normal time,” said 7ths captain Joshua Stanley.

“It was a good performance though considering it’s the first time this year’s side have played together properly.

“The new boys have slotted in really well, and we’re hoping to retain the title this season and have a good cup run.”

Sloth manager Garin Rees felt his side deserved the win after a good performance.

“I felt we dominated the game in the first half, and that we deserved the win in the end,” he said.

“I’m pleased with how the new boys played and our man of the match was Tom Davies in central midfield.

“With the great squad we have this year, I think we should be competing for both the league and the cup.”

The 7ths opened the scoring in the 16th minute, when a free-kick was not dealt with effectively and Ollie James was able to head home the rebound.

Soon after, Sloth had great chances to equalise. First Lewys Thomas hit the post, and then a header was cleared off the line.

On the half-hour mark however, they did find their equaliser, Davies heading home a corner to level things up.

The 7ths were unlucky not to retake the lead before half time, when James hit the post with a drive across goal.

Despite this scare, with the first chance of the second half, Luke Elworthy headed home to put Sloth in the lead for the first time in the game.

However, after chances for both sides, a ball into the Sloth box was intelligently flicked home by Paul Roberts for 2-2.

A quiet final half hour meant the game finished this way, and as per the rules of the Shield, it therefore went straight to penalties to be settled.

And it was Sloth who triumphed, winning 6-5 after the 7ths eighth penalty was saved by Sam Herring.

Comment Below (Moderated)