Naivety costs basketball side in cup clash

Captain Tom Evans blamed a lack of experience as Swansea’s basketball side were dumped out of the Bucs Western Cup in the closing stages.

Swansea’s determination witnessed them lead 60-59 with four minutes to go; however Swansea’s inexperience in defending a winning position led to Glamorgan scoring a staggering 14 points to secure victory.

“Mostly inexperience has cost us the game along with not knowing when to shoot or forcing shots,” said Evans.

“The defence played well, we held them to 70 points against a team a lot bigger and a lot more athletic than us is a decent achievement.”

The first quarter had seen Swansea lead 16-15 with Gu Zhoo impressing.

His lightening pace and attacking prowess were capped off by scoring two points.

Despite trailing by one point, Glamorgan’s aggressive nature and athleticism was displayed by both Oman Ojoubu and Mohammed Jamma.

Glamorgan increased the intensity of their play and took control in the second quarter, outscoring the home side by eight points to lead 29-36 at half-time.

The departure of Zhoo after the first quarter had negatively affected the tactics of Swansea, whose style of play was lacking the sharpness and counter-attacking ability that Zhoo had displayed.

Glamorgan’s Jamma top-scored with six points, his team-mate Ojoubu scored five points helping to thrust the visitors into a seven point lead, yet Jay Jones also scored five points for the home side.

Glamorgan finished the second quarter by scoring 10 unanswered points, with both Paul Killkelly and Ojoubu scoring one free throw each and the remainder came through the help of Swansea’s slack defending.

The third quarter was a tighter affair as Swansea outscored Glamorgan by five points, reducing the deficit to two points, trailing 48-50.

Leo Gould’s impressive 11 point tally in that third quarter and Toby Burgess’ persistence to score a three-pointer gave Swansea hope going in to the final quarter.

They immediately levelled the scoring to 50-50 with a two-pointer from Jay Jones.

With both teams trading points, Swansea led 60-59 with four minutes remaining following Burgess’ three-pointer.

In the final four minutes, Glamorgan sealed 14 points to clinch victory.

Both Jamma and Jimmy Akl scored four points each and Yannick Charles, Killkelly and Ojoubu all scored two points apiece to seal the fate for Swansea and ensure Glamorgan go through to the quarter finals.

Swansea will be looking to set the record straight when they face Glamorgan again, this time in the league, on the 15th February.

Swansea University 2nds 60-73 Glamorgan University 1sts

Comment Below (Moderated)