Swansea suffer an extra time heartbreak

A STIRRING second half comeback was not enough for victory as Gloucestershire knocked Swansea out of the BUCS cup, thanks to an extra time winner.

Captain Rory Thorburn, sidelined by injury, praised his team’s efforts despite defeat but was critical of the umpires’ decisions.

“We knew we had a great chance of winning this game,” said Thorburn.

“The boys all knew what needed to be done to reach the quarter-finals, but it just didn’t seem to work for us.

“Going two nil down was very frustrating, particularly as we felt the first was an incorrect decision.

“I felt it shouldn’t have been a short corner in the first place, Simon Slabbert made a tremendous tackle but the umpire decided to award the short corner.

“A penalty flick was then given due to it hitting a player on the line.

“Despite this it was a tremendous effort to crawl back to two all, with everyone putting in one hundred percent.”

Having beaten Gloucestershire 1sts the previous week in the league, Swansea were confident going into the cup tie.

Nick Lampkin’s, controversially given; penalty flick was the only thing separating the two sides after a cagey first half.

Inside the first five minutes of the second half, a second penalty flick was awarded.

Lampkin converted again to put Gloucestershire two up and leave Swansea with it all to do.

Swansea bombarded the Gloucestershire area in the next 20 minutes and finally broke through on the hour mark, with Sam Heaver pouncing on a penalty corner

There was one last twist to come in normal time.

In the penultimate minute of the game; Andrew Willemite found space in the box to drill in a superb equaliser and take the game into extra time.

Having shown excellent spirit to fight back from two down, Swansea were caught out by a sucker punch in the first period of extra time.

Gloucester sealed the game when a fortuitous deflection wrong-footed Gerrard and found its way into the Swansea goal.


Comment Below (Moderated)